Thursday, October 28, 2010

Balloon Mobile

Working on our nursery for our soon to be baby boy has been fun, exhausting, and expensive! But when it came to a mobile- I knew that I could create something that would fit right in with our style and our budget. (This cost me under $15!) My inspiration: The Flensted Balloon Mobile
Mine is a little different though... I love the simplicity of the Flensted mobile and I really love working with cut paper but I wanted to soften mine up with some white felt clouds and a bright sun floating above everything. Here's how I did it...

A roll of thick wire and a few different sizes of pliers was all I needed to start. This was a difficult process and even harder to photograph! I started with the first few wires that would be the main part of the mobile and, as soon as I could, I hung it from my dining room chandelier so I could see how the mobile was balancing. After I finished the wire I felt like I had a little more confidence in myself and the process became easier and more fun as I continued.

The ballons were actually very simple! 1.) Using double sided card stock, (actually note cards that I already had) I cut out the shape of my balloons. Each balloon needed 4 pieces of paper. 2.)I folded them each in half and then 3.) stacked four pieces together and sewed a straight line up the center. 4.) Lastly, I carefully "opened" up the ballon to show all the colors and, using clear fishing line, attached a cork and a bead underneath for the basket.

I think the mobile would have been adorable if I had stopped here... but I just can't pass up an opportunity to use a blacket stich on some fuzzy wool felt! So I cut out some clouds and a sun- stiched and stuffed them and hung them from the wire. Finally I hung the ballons below the clouds and the mobile was complete! I love the finished product!



No comments:

Post a Comment