Wednesday, March 10, 2010

why marble?

My husband and I are finally redoing our kitchen and have decided to use carrara marble for most of our counter tops. I think it is beautiful and classic. Although it has been popular for decades, the way it is used today it is not only current, but in my opinion, unique in a world of ubatuba granite everywhere I turn. Marble looks great with its classic glossy surface but can also be honed for a more subtle (but still beautiful) look. Honing can also help disquise thiny imperfections or even scratches on the surface. It can be paired with other materials like a soapstone or even concrete on neighboring countertops. The main arguement against marble? It tends to be a little more finicky than other stones. But I love what a woman from our stone supplier said to me recently, "If the streets of Italy have been paved with Marble for 100's of years, surely it is strong enough to withstand my family." It scratches and stains easier than granite or quartz due to its porous nature but it is equially as hygenic and can make a statement like no other. How beautiful is the kitchen above from Downsview Kitchens? The marble adds an enormous amount of light to the room paired with the dark stain and the white cabinetry. Not to mention the stainless steel touches, the industrial style lighting, the wall of pantry, state of the art appliances... (sigh)...here's to dreaming...

No comments:

Post a Comment