Tuesday, March 16, 2010

One of my best friends is having a baby and refuses to find out if she will be expecting a little man or a sweet little baby girl. Being the honorary (decorating obsessed) aunt that I am, it is my duty to help create the perfect gender-neutral space for this precious baby to come home to. I have a few ideas... Remember- a baby's room is really just for mom and dad the first few months and then it will ultimately become filled with toys, books, and that raggedy stuffed animal that you can't pry from your sweet baby's fingers, none of which will match the decor anyway. So... my idea? Don't choose a specific color scheme. Choose a neutral base color then add pops of color in the fabrics, furniture, and art. The room will look like a nursery- so why not attempt a contemporary, sophisticated look that will be calming for you and your baby.

I love how pattern and color is brought in through the furniture and wall decals can be great for temporary color and especially for those who don't feel comfortable with a paintbrush.



Most don't see navy as a neutral- but think of it like denim- it goes with everything! I know painting a wall this dark can be daunting, but with the adjacent white walls and bright pops of color, I think it is an awesome look!



Obviously not a nursery, but it could be! I love the calming neutral bedding, the light walls, the chandelier and the mirror. Also, how cool would this art look above a crib... I can't think of anything more fitting.

Yellow can be a neutral! I like how, in this room, the yellow is a rich gold- nurseries don't have to be pastel. In this case, the color is actually a wallpaper that has been applied to the ceiling instead of the walls.

Now, this is my favorite idea... a tee pee in a baby's room? Naturally this is something they'd have to grow into... but it looks so whimsical and modern! And can you say most fun sleepover ever!?

No comments:

Post a Comment